|Our Patron, Helen Clark|
Safehouse: Shakti has four ethnic women's refuges in New Zealand. Please donate generously to the cause of ensuring safety to vulnerable women and children. Items needed include beds, bed linen, duvets, kitchen ware, groceries, sanitary products, toiletries, etc. Thank you.
Contact Shakti: For general enquiries/donations
Phone/Fax: + 64 9 8384217
Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Shakti Community Council Inc., formerly known as the Shakti Migrant Services Trust has its origins in The Shakti Asian Women's Support Group founded by Farida Sultana and 7 other Asian women in Auckland in 1995.
In Mt Rosekill: Shakti's first office
The support group was set up by ethnic women for ethnic women to overcome the barriers that come with migration and break the bonds of cultural oppression imposed on them for generations. Besides enrolling themselves in Life Skills programmes and learning to become self-reliant, these women sought to challenge the cultural acceptance of Domestic Violence within their communities, promote greater gender equity and bring about social change.
Over the years, the Support Group has grown from the confines of one tiny room to a national umbrella organisation with several centres covering Central, West and South Auckland, North Island Central (Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Waikato) and South Island (based out of Christchurch). Services include a 24-hour domestic violence intervention service and other social services to migrant and refugee families.
Every year, Shakti services thousands of families from Asian, African and Middle Eastern ethnic groups, including Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Malay, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Burmese, Korean, Indian, Fiji Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Iranian, Iraqi and African. Shakti's forte has been in providing culturally-sensitive services, by ethnic people for ethnic people.
Shakti Community Council Inc. is approved by Child, Youth & Family (CYF) as a national umbrella organisation and some of the member organisations are individually CYF-approved as well. CYF approval ensures implementation of best-practice standards in social services. Shakti receives funding from various government agencies and private trusts in New Zealand.
Shakti's mission is to facilitate and ensure good health and overall well-being of New Zealand's migrant and refugee communities through culturally appropriate services within a culturally appropriate environment.
To enable all immigrants to be fully integrated into New Zealand society in such a manner that they are able to live a life of dignity free from violence and are able to exercise their rights and responsibilities.
Shakti Organisations in New Zealand:
- Shakti Asian Women's Centre Inc - Auckland
- Shakti Asian Women's Safehouse Inc. (2 Refuges) - Auckland
- Shakti Legal Advocacy & Family Social Services Inc.- Auckland
- Shakti Education Training & Advisory Company (SETAC) *NZQA-Registered training & education provider (Auckland and nationwide)
- Shakti Ethnic Women's Support Group Central Region Inc.
- Shakti Ethnic Women's Support Group Christchurch Inc.
- Shakti Ethnic Women's Support Group Wellington Inc.
- Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women's Support Group Melbourne Inc.
- Shakti Ethnic Women's Support Group NSW Inc.
- Drop-in services
- Domestic Violence Intervention Services
- Refuge Services for ethnic women victims of violence and their children
- 24-hour Crisis Call service for women in violent situations
- Awareness and training programme for Community Advocates / Volunteers
- Counselling & Legal Advocacy services
- Family Settlement, Casework, Services for youth by youth
- Positive Parenting Programmes
- Social Services including Outreach work
- Educational programmes for women like English Language, Driver Licensing, Career Development
- NZQA accredited programmes for migrants and refugees *under development
Our goal is to assist migrant and refugee families integrate within the New Zealand society and economy harmoniously, taking into context the importance of acknowledging and operating in a multi-lingual and culturally appropriate environment.
Women in crisis can call our 24-hour, toll-free crisis line 0800 742584 (0800 SHAKTI) Email: email@example.com
Rise Against Rape Culture
Find us on facebook